Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Expectations....

Hello-hello.

It is currently Tuesday and i've had a bit of a chance to settle in. This trip is many things, but one thing it is not is the experience that I had envisioned.

One large difference from what I had expected-they really don't need us that much for labor. They have a decently sized staff on hand that takes care of most major things. The things we seem to be doing places us more of in the role of the third wheels. Enclosure cleaning, for example. Yesterday it was myself and two other older volunteers here. Plus three of the "Guides". We had two shovels, a bin liner, and a scrubber for the bowls. Do the math. The same applies for preparing meat, walking the lions, 0r other such activities.

It is also MUCH more laid back then I expected. To clean the enclosures at the main breeding center takes eons. First we have to find the guy with the key to the equipment shed, then we have to find the guys to move the lions, then we have to find the wheel barrel, then usually there is no wheel barrel so we need to go back to camp to get one, and so on and so on. Once you remove yourself from the American mind set of time is money, though, its not that bad at all.

As for timing and punctuality, its more of a suggestion then an requirement.

Once you shift your expectations and perspective, however, its really quite enjoyable. Not exactly the experience I had expected and i'm hardly an integral part of the process...but enjoyable nonetheless. The relaxed air really suits my personality. I'll often have an hour in between things where I can choose to just go sit underneath a tree or take a stroll.

Its only been three days and I already feel that i'll have difficulty assimilating back into the American lifestyle.

No comments: